Saturday, September 15, 2012

Seeking a Friend - A Review

I try not to do reviews of movies solo. It's not that I can't judge for myself what movies are good and which I can't seem to ever un-see again. It's that I have a tendency (outside the superhero genre) to like movies which make me cry. So if you will forgive my predilection for these type of movies, I'd like to tell you a little about a movie I've just watched, "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World".

This movie starts out in the worst possible situation for a love story. Asteroid, Matilda, is headed for Earth and Dodge (Steve Carell) is trying to adjust to life suddenly alone after his wife (in the movie and in real life, Nancy Carell) leaves him.

Dodge tries to go about his last days as usual, going to work and to the store, with little left to enjoy about life.


Penny (Keira Knightley) is his neighbor, who has just broken up with her boyfriend and is trying to make it home to be with her family in England.





You never forget that there is a giant rock headed for Earth, that hope is not even in the cards. This isn't about saving Earth, but finding that other part of you in the time that you have.

There will be times where you are tricked into feeling like this is a comedy, dark as the matter itself is. But don't be fooled, underneath each joke and beneath the veneer of each comical scene is desperation for those around them.

Give this movie a try if you like, I don't think you will be disappointed, but I know you will cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment